Wednesday, January 2, 2008

so it 08'!


2007 for all reasons has been one of the most eventful years of my life ... A lot changes, broken promises and unfulfilled desires. In a lot of ways I grew up more in 2007 alone than I had during the first 20 years of my life.

My father, who I always thought was one of the fittest and most able people around fell sick, I was shocked couldn’t react and probably still do not know how to. I guess I realised for the first time in my life that people age, that life aint perfect and that loosing a loved one could someday be a reality.

Relationships were crazy, moving out of college to another city and then moving back and then swapping jobs, I have met so many people – some of who have touched my life and some, who I just want to forget but well, 2007 was the year of people. People who I thought would stay with me till the day I die, left .. people who I wanted to run away from were my support. People who I think too much of, mean the worlds and people – were just being themselves.. unpredictable. This people include people like me – unpredictable, unstable and irrational.

The year of my first job, I finally woke up to reality. Both ins school and college, I have never really put in much effort, especially college, where I sailed through totally relying on the power of bullshit , I had time, I had freedom and I could still do well.. that was life!! No deadlines, no embarrassment and no bosses. I also learnt another thing, college politics is absolutely nothing compared to what you see at your workplace and there are only two ways to survive
1 – Bitch back as viciously as you can
2- Shup up, mind your business and pretend like people don’t exist
I tried a bit of both, think I am going to choose the latter though, it’s easier safer and that the end people just call you a ‘snob’, the former could lead to far more hazardous complications.

2007, the year of my goals- I finally decided to do something about my life. I need to move towards my dream, even if it means letting go for a cushy routine. 2007 is when I realized I could be stuck in a rut if I didn’t take the initiative to move and 2007 is when I started my journey towards my dream- education. I should soon be going to Graduate school to study and this will hopefully put me on a path towards professional nirvana.

Money! I discovered financial independence, of course even in school and college, I was always the type who never had to save, a lot of part-time jobs and the delightful ‘prize money’ earned form several cultures and quite a generous amount of pocket money, kept me quite happy but I finally began to understand what it is to make a good amount of it, enough to do what you want, buy what you want , money that is yours with noone to ask questions.,. well.. bliss.
Finally.. with 2008, I realize me turning another year older is just a matter of 4 months.. I will soon be 22! And 22 does not read young anymore. I can no longer do absurd things and pass it off as ‘cute’ , I can never be so sweetly immature again and tantrums won’t be laughed at. Children will start calling me aunty, I need to be a serious-faced responsible adult and people will now start looking at me as a ‘woman’. Its time I grow up!!

8 comments:

neeraja said...

My son is already calling you AUNTY!!! You anyway are a cute little pain, All the best for a wonderful year ahead.

Unknown said...

lol, happy new year :)

Ne said...

I totally relate to this post. 2007 was a big year for me too. The whole moving to another city, working,moving back. Financial independence being the most exciting. Now if I love those shoes which are not on Amma's priority 'gift' list, its alright!
Also, its better to be called a snob than a doormat. I was the 'peter' snob at college. Its not so bad after all. I am having the last laugh when I cracked those job interviews and GRE/TOEFL and what not! :-)

Ne said...

:-)thanks. I'm really glad u liked it.Quite a few friends have been subjected to my 'survey' on how interesting my blog is. :-D And ur blog kept me entertained for a while too!

and no,I dont think we know each other. Since I am jobless beyond belief right now, coupled with an addiction to blog reading, I tend to look at friend's friends profiles on orkut, search and read blogs! Guilty as charged. :-D

Meher :) said...

very true.. atleast most of the post! :)

all the points listed.. if not in 2007 itself - happened to me at different points in life... and all of them end up teaching you lessons in their own ways!

Relationships is the most obvious thing you notice - its almost in BOLD letters at every stage of your life! People surprise you like hell when you are least expecting it and it completely throws you off-guard!!

Financial independece - couldn't agree more with you! Never was into part-time jobs, but earning money for yourself and not having to ask anyone for money to spend on a dress you like or gift you want to buy for a friend is something that means a lot really! There are times when I end up feeling - why do I need to work! But then, the thought of having to ask someone else for money removes any such thoughts immediately :D

Nice post :) Felt good reading it!

deepthi vinod said...

22 is a great age to discover yourself...try and make the most of it and wait till your 28 to look back and smile....

Anonymous said...

holy hell! um 26 nd i still feel young to do rather absurd things!!

Unknown said...

so much more to come... whatever it may be- life is sure worth and wonderful journey.

have blast..and dance your way to happiness.